BEDTIME BATTLES: 5 THINGS THAT COULD BE INTERFERING YOUR ABILITY TO FALL ASLEEP
Apr 11, 2023
Don’t you feel tired, stressed, and sleepy during office hours? Do you wish you could have slept sooner last night? Are you yearning for a good night’s sleep? Feel sleepy all the time, even after napping? People don’t understand that the effects of sleeping late can cause major complications in our bodies.
There are a number of factors that could be disrupting your sleep. Setting proper sleep cycles and maintaining specific rules can rid your sleep troubles. To feel active and lively, avoid certain things to do before sleeping to feel rested and peaceful the next day. You can also consume supplements such as sleep gummies to help you with sleep difficulties.
Check out the five parameters of sleep interference:
- Two or more hours of screen time in the evening can seriously disrupt the melatonin surge needed to fall asleep.
- Avoid using electronic devices 30-45 mins before bedtime, as they will strain your eyes.
- Device screens produce blue light, the part of the light spectrum most active in our sleep cycle.
- This light from our screens can delay our transition to sleep by suppressing melatonin production.
- Consider taking melatonin supplements in the form of melatonin gummies.
- Maintaining a consistent good sleep routine can help. Go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.
- Try out sleep gummies for a relaxed sleep.
- Try meditating before heading to bed.
- Keep a calm atmosphere in the room and draw the curtains to dim surrounding lights.
Consumption of Caffeine, Nicotine, and Alcohol:
- Nicotine is a stimulant that makes it harder for you to fall asleep. Smoking should be avoided at least three hours before bedtime. Nicotine can also raise the risk of developing sleep conditions. Try out healthy gummies for quitting nicotine.
- Caffeine is great for waking us up, but if you have caffeine later in the day or during nighttime, it makes you alert and less sleepy. It stays in your system for a very long time. Hence, avoiding caffeine products at least eight hours before bedtime is better. All caffeine addicts out there, make sure you follow this for your beauty sleep.
- Drinking alcohol can cause many problems that can affect the working of your body parts. Drink in moderation or try quitting it for a better lifestyle. Drinking alcohol can also worsen Sleep Apnea, a disorder where air passage becomes blocked.
- Stop drinking alcohol for at least four hours before your sleeping time. Drinking may also lead to insomnia.
- Sleep easy by quitting alcohol and the use of nicotine. A night of good sleep is crucial for everybody to function correctly.
Napping for longer time:
- Taking naps during the day is very beneficial as it can make you feel relaxed, reduces fatigue, increases alertness, and improves mood and performance.
- Naps generally don’t affect the nighttime sleep quality, but napping for a long time does. Ensure that you take power naps of just 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taking a 2-hour nap will give you Sleep Inertia; you might feel sluggish, groggy, and disoriented after waking up.
- Taking frequent naps can abruptly wake you up from your nighttime sleep continuously. Try sleep gummies for better sleep.
- Taking longer naps can also cause insomnia.
- Make sure that your naps are not very late in the afternoon, as it will interfere with your bedtime sleep.
- Individual factors can also play a role in determining the best time to sleep or nap.
- The environment where we sleep is critical. Keeping your surroundings neat, clean, and cool is vital for a sound sleep.
- To sleep, the body temperature needs to cool down at least by a degree so that our body feels relaxed and calm.
- Ensure the room temperature is cool at around 18 degrees Celsius or a maximum of 22 degrees Celsius. Hot temperatures make you more alert, but cooler temperatures make you feel relaxed and calm.
- Draw curtains to block noise from the surroundings, as noise can be very irritating for someone who is trying to sleep. Use blackout curtains as they help in blocking noise too.
- For a good beauty sleep, ensure you have a dark room; dimmer light sets the mood for a relaxed and peaceful night. Harsh and bright lights only make you more alert and disrupt sleep.
- A darker room also helps to rejuvenate your skin as the body gets time to heal the skin from the bright and harsh daylights.
- Make sure you use light shades of soft cotton or silk bed sheets, as they help cool your body, make you feel calm and relaxed, and help you sleep instantly.
- Newer mattresses are made excellently by keeping back problems in mind. The memory foam mattresses provide great comfort to the back and spine and make you feel rested the next day.
- Selecting pillows keeping in mind the firmness and the thickness of what you prefer, makes or breaks the deal with sleep.
- Make sure to air out your room every day to ventilate the room and also get rid of stale air. Regularly change sheets and pillow covers. This might look like an ordinary chore, but it helps you to maintain a good sleep-wake cycle.
Vigorous workouts during the nighttime:
- If you are working out at night, it's best to exercise at a moderate intensity. This will help you sleep better and faster.
- You must finish your workout at least three hours before bedtime.
- This will give your body the time to cool down and get the heart rate and blood pressure back to normal.
- Always shower after your workouts and take deep breaths to calm yourself.
- Never go to bed without a bath or shower, as doing so will significantly damage the skin and make you all sticky and smelly.
You can also listen to calming music to sleep well. Many prefer listening to the splattering of rain, pleasant thunderstorms, or flowing water bodies to bring a calming atmosphere. Some prefer keeping a window open to enjoy the fresh breeze while sleeping. Some people like having dimmed lights rather than dark rooms. At the same time, some people prefer having the starry sky painted on their ceiling to have that feeling of sleeping under the sky.
The effects of sleeping late can take a toll on your sanity. Make sure that you are well rested. You can also take sleep gummies to improve your sleep cycle, as they can be an excellent source of melatonin supplements needed for a good night's sleep.